Cereal_killer3
The Dead Man's Revenge, Live from Charleston SC
Saturday, October 14, 2006
The Obsolescence of the Writer

"The process of becoming obsolete or the condition of being nearly obsolete." Merriam-Webster's Online Dictionary

I am writing this as my fiance sits on the bed and watches a movie about old cowboys. I sit here writing about writing, the obsolete profession. Obsolete as in being a blacksmith or a cooper or a fletcher. Not really obsolete, but not essential. Books are the most difficult of all media now, and nobody with money wants to do anything difficult. Difficulty, effort, intellectual work, that's what fucked us. Putting hard things down on paper, telling people things they didn't really want to know, that's what fucked us.

Truth is outmoded.


Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,



******
Save This Page on del.icio.us
1 Comments:
Blogger Heyburn State Park said...
Some truth to that, C.K. I read a lot, but find myself opting more and more for audio books. That shows I'm lazy, I guess, or time crunched. At least someone had to write the books in the first place.